openafs-krb5 -- libcom_err.so.3 in EARLIER version of krb5-libs

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:46:24 UTC 2003

Globe Trotter wrote:
> Btw, you are not the "cranky" responder - any similarities to your "name" are
> coincidental...:-)
>
> I have libcom_err.so.2 in /lib so I went there and created a link to this with
> libcomm_err.so.3. Should I have done something else?
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, I think I started this "cranky" thing because someone complained
that this thread had already appeared in an earlier posting.   not
surprisingly, this is a very busy list.   I had just joined and naively
missed just how big this was.   I has only looked at the lists at
fedora.us.

> --- Andy 'Cranky' Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:

>>On Thursday 13 November 2003 15:16, Globe Trotter wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, I meant libcom_err.so.3. Sorry! The cranky responder basically
>>>suggested looking up the posts which had symlink as a hack. Which did not
>>>work. The other solution, getting the openafs source rpms did not do much
>>>either.
>>
>>What exactly did you do to link what to where, and what were the 'don't work'
>>
>>symptoms before and after?  I ask because I suffered similar complaints about
>>
>>the same library and the symlink made the most definite fix for it.

I was one of the people who had trouble with the libcom_err.so.3 issue.
I'm not sure why.   Before upgrading to Fedora, I believe I also
upgraded openssh.  This was a Fedora upgrade.   After the upgrade, both
sshd and X complained about not being able to find "libcom_err.so.3"
The "fix" was to replace whatever version of openssh I had with the
version that was actually on the Fedora distribution.  So, from where
did I get a version of sshd that was looking for libcom_err.so.3?   I
thought it was from the updated RedHat ssh that was a fix for a security
problem.

I'm further confused because libcom_err.so.2 is provided by the
<e2fsprogs> rpm.   Checking the varvious krb5_libs rpms only added to my
confusion:

<krb5-libs-1.3.1-6>, which is provided by the Fedora 					distribution
does NOT provide libcom_err.so.3

<krb5-libs-1.2.7-10.i386.rpm>
<krb5-libs-1.2.7-1.1mdk.i586> both DO provide <libcom_err.so.3>

Does that mean that people should also install
<krb5-libs-1.2.7-10.i386.rpm>   ??

Thoughts?

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!