Unmouting CDROM ??

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Nov 13 18:03:20 UTC 2003

"PatrickM" <patrickm at myway.com> wrote:
>Are more people experiencing the problem that a cd can't be unmounted
>("eject cd") from Gnome after using it?
>
>When I insert a data-cd, when right-clicking and selecting "eject", I get
>an error message telling me the device is busy....

I used to have this problem under Red Hat 9 too.  Upwards of 90% of the
time it would be FAM watching the drive for updated files, and occasionally
it would be a process generating thumbnails.  It's not limited just to
CD-ROMs, but any removable disk.  I've seen it on the USB interface to my
digital camera, and once - just once - on a floppy (although now that I
think about it, that one might have been under Severn.)

Sometimes just waiting a few seconds and trying again is enough.  Other
times I've had to killall fam or even killall -9 fam.

Kelson Vibber