Fedora on the server

Brian Collins listbc at newnanutilities.org
Fri Nov 14 02:02:12 UTC 2003

> My company is buying a new Dell server (2x2.4GHz P4 Xeon, 2Gb RAM, 73Gb
> RAID 1 SCSI) for our production customer facing web site and I have been
> trying to decide on which Linux distribution to use. It needs to run
> Apache, tomcat, sendmail, mysql, php and bind and have minimum downtime.
> We normally have about 25Gb of HTTP traffic a month, but is likely to
> double over the next 12 months. I am not fussed about having paid for
> support (that's my job!)
>
> I was going to choose RH9 (after deciding against Debian), but I just
> found out about Fedora. Is Core 1 suitable for this type of environment?
> Or would you recommend I go with RH9 or Debian.

I'd recommend going with RH9 (or RH8) for now.  You may want to think
about Enterprise if this is mission-critical, but it's not really
necessary.  My only Enterprise boxen are the pair in my Samba fileserver
cluster.  Everything else I run Red Hat on (30+ machines) is 7.1 thru
9.  And those are machines that run DHCP, BIND, Postfix, Apache (both
with and without FP extensions), Coldfusion, Qmail, Samba, VS-FTP, PHP,
MySQL, PosgreSQL, and some proprietary stuff.  We've even got COBOL
running on RH (for a little longer - we're replacing that app).

Bottom line - I personally wouldn't put Fedora into production yet.

--B C