Fedora on the server

Nathan G. Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Fri Nov 14 15:36:57 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 00:03, Nasturas George wrote:
> you had problems because you updated a RH9 . with fresh install is no
> problem.

I did do fresh installs on my workstations, and yes they did go
smoother. I would still have some problems with say mysql after I
tweaked the configuration the way it is supposed to be. Fresh installs
aren't an option for most servers. Naturally the servers that were the
most trouble to upgrade are the ones that would have been even more
hassle to fresh install.

> So, for everyone out there : never use a system as it comes ! i
> personally keep only the core of the OS Dist and after 1 day of working
> with kernel,grsec,ipsec, and all the new releases of services that i
> will need (i refer to the home page of every project) ..... !? it will
> take a long time till you will have to update something or you will be
> vulnerable.

I don't use it as it comes, but then every change makes upgrades that
much more difficult. Example, before FC1 I had upgraded openssh to the
latest version by making my own rpms. After upgrading to FC1 openssh
hadn't be upgraded, and was broken because of a missing library.