Linuxconf / Webmin / redhat-config-*

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Fri Nov 14 22:12:22 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've been considering installing a 3rd party config tool in Fedora, and
had ran into linuxconf a while ago.

I recall that someone on redhat-install list advised someone else against
using linuxconf on RH (and suggested Webmin instead). But that was aways
before Fedora's birth, and moreover no further clarification was given at
the time.

Later on, when searching for a good firewall interface for Linux, I
overheard someone (don't remember where) recommending webmin for that
purpose.

Well, I did not delve into those matters at that time but I'd like to do
it now. Found no substantial references on this list's archives, and so
the questions would be:

1. Considering that FC has a large set of 'redhat-*' configuring utilities
(as a newbie I have no general idea about their overall quality and/or
integration features), I wonder if someone would care to comment on pros
and cons of adding 3rd party config tools to Fedora ;

2. Same as above, regarding linuxconf specifically ;

3. Same as above regarding webmin (I have a diffuse feeling that this
latter stuff is quite solid and integrated) .

Well, this Linux newbie here is anxious to find _ONE_ family of config
utils to familiarize himself and start learning what he can (maybe not
100% possible but he'd like to pursue that), instead of having to deal
with different config interfaces.

I also paid a visit to Fedora-config-list and found there is a lot of
effort being put into the _NEXT_ generation of config tools for FC, but
that doesn't help me now.

So . . .

Thnx in advance.

Thiers Botelho