Issue has wrong version

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Nov 15 05:44:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 12:13, Truzzi, Paul S wrote:
> I upgraded from Test 1 to Test 2 to the final version, or at least up2date can't find any new packages.  However, when I check /etc/issue it says that it is:
> 	Fedora Core release 0.94 (Severn)
> 	Kernel \r on an \m
> Not a big deal, but shouldn't this file have been updated somewhere along the line?

Paul,

RHL 9 -> 9.0.9x and RHL 9 -> FC1 are supported update paths, but the
betas are dead ends as far as official upgrade support to the next major
production release is concerned. There was/is no guarantee you can
successfully upgrade any beta to FC1. You might have a 99% OK FC1
installation, but your /etc/issue could be evidence that it's not 100%
OK.

To be sure, it's best to back up your key files (/home/*, /etc, /root,
/usr/local/bin, /var/named, ...) to tape, CD-R, another hard drive or
partition, etc. Be sure to include hidden (.xxxxx) files and directories
in those backups so you don't lose things like your Mozilla preferences
& bookmarks. Then do a fresh install and restore only what you need from
the backups. Restoring _everything_ (like /etc/issue) would take you
right back where you started.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL