[OT] Linux leaders offer education discount

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Nov 16 19:53:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Ed Hill wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 03:18, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   if that's the case, how many students are going to be interested
> > in the more stable but certainly older technology of RHEL on their
> > desktop?  to which release of RH does RHEL currently correspond?

RHEL 3.0 is pretty close to RH9+.

> Hi Rob,
>
> Probably quite a few grad students, post-docs, and professors will be
> interested.  Theres a lot of researchers using Linux for data reduction
> who really don't care about bleeding-edge stuff.  They just want a
> stable, secure, and up-2-date platform for their desktops, servers, and
> beowulf clusters.
>
> For instance, we have dozens of users matching that description in our
> department.

Another reason to stick with the slower-moving product is support for
commercial software.  I kind of doubt that we'll see products like Maple,
Matlab, Mathematica, SPlus, CPLEX, etc. staying fully current with a
fast-moving Fedora product.  They'll be supporting the OS that they can
get support for themselves, namely RHEL.  And they will be very happy with
the longer life cycle.

I haven't decided which way to go with my work machines, but this is an
excellent alternative for academics, and makes RHEL a very viable option
for me.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences