Regarding Audio speedup problem

Terry Cole sdoradus at maths.otago.ac.nz
Sun Nov 16 23:31:48 UTC 2003

Dear List,

Regarding Justin's audio speedup problem (On Sunday 16 November 2003
02:34, Justin Georgeson wrote:)

>> I think this is more specifically related to samba 3.0+ than it is to
>> fedora, but I figure this is as good a place as any to start. I've
>> noticed that when either the server or client host is Fedora (including
>> the beta release, all the way up to Yarrow) listening to MP3 files in
>> xmms and watching video files in gmplayer, the audio and video is played
>> at about 2x speed. Has anyone else noticed anything remotely like this?
>> It's really annoying.

To which Andy Green responded:

>Today's Topics:

>  16. Re: audio/video over smbfs mounts (Andy Green)
>Nope... very very hard to see how this can be Samba...

Indeed.

>Sounds more like the kernel timer is set wrong on your machine, or there is a
>problem with the audio device clock rate?

I'll bet the answer lies with the default sound library being alsa9. To
test this, use gmplayer but invoke it for the OSS or SDL libraries, like
this:
"gmplayer -ao sdl ..."

I'll also bet the problem exists for playback of files but not of media
like dvd, vcd, or cdda.

Regards, TC

--
Terry Cole	admin at maths.otago.ac.nz System Administrator
Dept. of Maths and Stats, 		Otago University