Fedora on the server

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Nov 17 09:00:38 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 01:50, Dave Oxley wrote:
> My company is buying a new Dell server (2x2.4GHz P4 Xeon, 2Gb RAM, 73Gb
> RAID 1 SCSI) for our production customer facing web site and I have been
> trying to decide on which Linux distribution to use. It needs to run
> Apache, tomcat, sendmail, mysql, php and bind and have minimum downtime.
> We normally have about 25Gb of HTTP traffic a month, but is likely to
> double over the next 12 months. I am not fussed about having paid for
> support (that's my job!)
>
> I was going to choose RH9 (after deciding against Debian), but I just
> found out about Fedora. Is Core 1 suitable for this type of environment?
> Or would you recommend I go with RH9 or Debian.
>
> Cheers.
Good morning Dave.

I would have thought if your company is in a position to spend the money
required for a 2x2.4GHz P4 Xeon, plus associated bells and whistles then
the cost of installing one of the RHEL distribution would be peanuts.

Our company will be looking shortly to upgrade our current web server,
for which I am intending to install RHEL workstation on.

RH8, would probably be my other choice, however due to their intention
to stop security updates for all of their RHL products, it would seem
mighty unwise to use these.

So in short, if you are relying on RH to provide the updates, go with
RHEL (probably work station as it's the cheapest).

Doug