Remote X-Display Problems

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Mon Nov 17 16:14:14 UTC 2003

Aaron M. Hirsch wrote:

| I just installed FC1 and am now unable to display X sessions back to
my box.
| Access to the remote machine is done via ssh and I am using the -X
option to
| ensure that X-Display is activated.
|
| I have tried:
| xhost + (on the local machine)
| export DISPLAY=148.80.180.89:0.0
|
| I get this error when attempting to display the X-Session back:
|
| Can't connect to X11 window server using '148.80.180.89:0.0' as the
value of
| the DISPLAY variable.
|
| I've performed a netstat -an  and found that x11, port 6000, is not
listening
| on the local machine.
|
| I've also found that I am unable to remote display X-Sessions from my
local
| box from a remote box.
|
| While iptables is installed, not firewall is running:
| Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
|  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
| destination
|
| Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
|  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
| destination
|
| Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
|  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
| destination
|
| Everything worked fine with RH9.
|
| Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking?
|
| TIA!

This has been discussed multiple times on this list.  TCP connections
have been disabled by default.

To quote
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg01877.html:

/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

change the following line:

FROM:

#DisallowTCP=true

TO:

DisallowTCP=false

Now restart gdm.  Should work now.

- --
Doug Stewart
Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs
dstewart at atl.lmco.com