Remote X-Display Problems

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 16:53:09 UTC 2003

Aaron M. Hirsch wrote:
> I just installed FC1 and am now unable to display X sessions back to my box.
> Access to the remote machine is done via ssh and I am using the -X option to
> ensure that X-Display is activated.
>
> I have tried:
> xhost + (on the local machine)
> export DISPLAY=148.80.180.89:0.0
>
> I get this error when attempting to display the X-Session back:
>
> Can't connect to X11 window server using '148.80.180.89:0.0' as the value of
> the DISPLAY variable.

I just got this answer from Terry early this morning and here's
what you do:

     There is a setting in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

     DisallowTCP=false

     The above setting will allow X display

Save all your files, work, what-ever and maybe even logout of X
nicely. Then pop out to a root shell <CTRL-ALT-F1>, login as root if
you haven't already, do an 'init 3 ; init 5', Now login, get a shell
(terminal), do a xhost <servername> and your in business. Now you'll
be able to login and run those remote xterm sessions. Worked for me.

Thanks Terry!

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry        ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://linuxha.sourceforge.net/                 (SourceForge)