nVidia GeoForce4 with external CRT

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 17 17:03:10 UTC 2003

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion -- unfortunately, it looks like my situation is a
little different.  I'm booting into runlevel 3 -- and text-mode screens
work without a hitch on both the LCD and CRT.  Now that I'm doing this, I
can startx -- and at least get a good display on the laptop.  But the
external CRT goes scrambled at this point.

Interestingly enough, dropping back out of X restores the CRT just fine to
text mode -- but the *laptop* display goes nuts.  Cycling through the
internal/external display options with the Fn-F8 key combination gets me
back to good screens on both displays.

But I still don't have XWindows on my big monitor, which is what I need
when I'm in the office.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,

Allan