OT: reply to posts with "no mail" option set

Edward Croft ecroft at openratings.com
Mon Nov 17 17:09:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 11:49, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> You don't need a larger hard drive, but you do need a box running Fedora. I
> suggest you find an old P/100 with 64MB of RAM (or you can even install
> with 64MB and then reduce it down to 32MB), a 2GB disk, and a network card.
> Put it under your desk, install Fedora in text mode only, and ssh to it.
> Voilà! Personal server on which to learn Fedora.
>
> You  do not need to intercept a darn thing. fetchmail will _check your
> Notes mail_ via POP just as though you'd done it from your Winders
> computer, no changes required. Then you just check your mail from your
> Winders computer using your personal Fedora server as incoming mail server.
> Outgoing mail has no need to change.

As the systems administrator for my company, I would have a hard time
with users just bringing in PCs and setting them up on my network. I am
responsible for all the systems and need to make sure that they are
patched properly, no viruses, etc. I have a DHCP server that provides
client addresses that I would prefer not to run out of addresses because
I've got people installing PCs without authorization. As a matter of
fact, company policy forbids such activity and is cause for immediate
dismissal. So please Rodolfo, before you make suggestions like these,
think them through from the SysAdmin side of things. If his company has
a similar policy, he could be fired for setting up a PC like that. With
all the issues with hackers, viruses, et al, companies are having zero
tolerance for things like this.
--
Edward M. Croft
Sr. Systems Engineer