Up2date - stopped working

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:03:27 UTC 2003

>Curious -- is everyone suddenly pointing to the same repository? I thought
>the idea of yum was to allow distributed repositories and easy mirroring.

<more rant>
    The whole problem with this from my perspective is that, as far as
anyone knows, this is THE repository.  With updates, especially those that
have been released in conjunction with security errata, people will want
them ASAP.  They will be impatient, pushy, and demanding.  That's an end
users job afterall.  No one at Fedora/RedHat is saying what in the bloody
nine hells happened to the 'default' yum repository, if it will ever be
back, how often if at all mirrors update.  Or maybe that last statement is
untrue, and I'm just ignorant.

    What would be nice is an errata page, like redhat had; see
http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/, some kind of assurance that
mirrors will be updated frequently OR at least a general idea that these
mirrors are updated hourly, these once daily, these ones weekly, these ones
on the 7th sunday of the 13th month, but only when its a blue moon so that
we can feel reasonably assured we're getting the goods, and something like
some people suggested a bittorrent style decentralized repository or at
least something like Cygwin has listing a whole slew of mirrors you can
install from, maybe even randomly populated so people won't tend to pick the
first in the list and hammer it downloading massive.rpm might be good....

    Also maybe a news or a what's new page on fedora.redhat.com too, so that
someone can update the world so something like THIS doesn't happen again
leaving a frustrated community hanging for an answer...

    I dunno.  I recognize that Fedora is (committed to???) not selling
anything whatsoever and therefore everything required to provide updates
over the internet must be obtained in the form of donation of
services/bandwidth, sponsorship, and time from community volunteers.  I'm
not a developer, not yet anyway, and I don't play one on the internet so my
hands are tied on that aspect; but if Fedora is strapped for some hands to
administrate/maintain servers/network infrastructure for a nice dedicated
boston mirror or what not that's my bag; but I gather the manpower and
equipment for this aspect is all being provided by RedHat therefore probably
can't help here either.  Even if it's just click on the paypal button and
donate some cash so a spare server can be purchased; whatever...
</more rant>

I do want to do something besides bitch endlessly, but anyway I digress.

Jason