Installation of fedora

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Nov 18 01:12:06 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 05:13:23PM -0600, Chris K Carter wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a problem with the install of the Core Fedora OS.  The following
> > steps have been successfully completed:
> >
> > 1.  Downloaded yarrow-i386-disc1.iso, yarrow-i386-disc2.iso,
> > yarrrow-i386-disc3.iso
> >
> > 2. Ran the md5sum and verified each iso file.
> >
> > 3. Burn the iso images to a TDK 650MB cdr disk. (iso9660 filesystem)
> >
> > 4. Mounted the 1st cdrom disk and accessed the /images/ directory to create
> > a bootdisk.
> >
> > 5. Rebooted the machine to boot from disk.
> >
> > 6. From the install prompt prompt, selected Local Cdrom as location of core
> > media.
> >
> > 7.  Fedora Core CD was not found in any cdrom drives.  Please insert the
> > Fedora Core CD and
> >     press okay.
> >
> > The software used to burn the cd is Called "Easy CD Creator".  I have also
> > burned the first iso image with
> > a software called "Nero" and the same results came about.  Any help with
> > this problem
> > would be appreciated.
>
> As you are booting to floppy, I conjecture this is an older machine
> incapable of booting to CD-ROM. Many older machines which are fine
> with pressed CDs have problems with CD-RW and even burned CD-R. You
> might look at a network install instead. With three CD-ROMs, you may
> find the network installation preferable to swapping CD-ROMs in and
> out.
>
> See http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html for some ideas on how to do
> it.

The other possibility is that the iso file was burned to the CD as a file.
I know there's some trick to getting images burned to CD in Windows.

Try just reading the CD in Windows.  If you see one file called
<something-or-other>.iso, then the burn was doen incorrectly.  If you see
a bunch of files including READMEs, RPM-GPG-KEYs, etc., then the burn was
good.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences