make oldconfig

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 22:17:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 21:21, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:14:08PM -0500, David C. Hart wrote:
>  > Maybe this will make life easier. WHERE in the process do I run make
>  > oldconfig? My normal "make" routine is: clean, mrproper, clean, bzImage,
>  > modules, modules_install, install.
>
> I use..
>
> make mrproper
> cp configs/whatever .config
> make oldconfig
> make oldconfig
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install

You forgot:
make dep
and
make install

If you're pretty confident of a successful build, you can just whack
most of it onto one line:

mv .config ..
make clean mrproper
mv ../.config .
make oldconfig xconfig
time nice -n +19 make oldconfig dep clean \
bzImage modules modules_install install

The second "oldconfig" seems necessary on certain buggy systems, and the
final "install" should take care of grub, the initrd, the kernel and
system map, etc.

However, one target that very few people use (and I don't know why!) is:

make rpm

Yes, it's that simple, although beware that this target does not build a
mkinitrd script into the package (AFAIK) so you will need to:

make rpm
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i<x>86/kernel-<version>.rpm
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>
vi /etc/grub.conf #insert new kernel into grub.conf

However, you will end up with an RPM'ed kernel.

Yup, I'm an RPM junkie.

--
[H]omer