Top posting and "no subject" messages.

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Tue Nov 18 22:19:55 UTC 2003

Whaaa ?  Wot do you mean by top-posting ???

Elton Woo wrote:

>On November 18, 2003 04:38 pm, Keith G. Robertson-Turner "Keith G.
>Robertson-Turner" <redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>>A: <enter flame, long, illogical tirade here>
>>>

>I think you misunderstood. ... Not *my* answer, but the answer i would expect
>of the person(s) to whom the question is addressed.
>

>>However, flaming them is pointless, since 50% of all top posters are
>>clueless newbies (flaming a newbie is like punching a baby) and 50% used
>>

>Given the general ASSumption that English is the lingua franca of
>Internet and International communications. Think of this: What if
>you were in a discussion group where the standard language
>was of an Indo-Eurasian family (e.g. hebrew, japanese, hindi).
>Would you start writing from right to left, instead of the accepted
>practice of from left to right _just because_ you felt like it?
>
>As I've said, whatever you write in this medum (the Internet) is
>there for the future and for all to see. Refusing to adhere to certain
>accepted standards is not merely disrespectful and considerate
>of others, but in the end, it is a mark of total disrespect for ONESELF.
>
>I have been very patient watching this very busy list, and the many
>"top posted" messages, HTML, and "no subject" ones.
>
>NOTE: I am not seeking to impose my will or opinions on ANYONE.
>My post was intended as a _gentle reminder_ or "heads up" to
>users, new and old.
>
>I will warn you against crossing on a red light, or the dangers
>of smoking, but if you insist on getting run over by a truck, or
>poisoning your lungs, <*SHRUG*> it's no skin off my nose!
>
>"Vive et laisse mourir" I always say!
>
>cheers,
>
>Elton ;-)

constantly stirring...  :-)

It certainly does make it easier to follow a thread if all the posts are
in the same direction.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a plugin for Mozilla that
"fixed"  top-posts for view or reply?  Then things would correct
themselves automagically....

Mike