Fedora, Debian or Gentoo

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Nov 19 00:51:41 UTC 2003

WipeOut <wipe_out at onetel.com> wrote:
>Gentoo was not a choice for me because again there was a learning curve,
>and the idea of compiling packages from source does not sit well with
>me.. I am not really confident in my ability to build systems, like PHP
>for example with all its included libs and other command line options,
>from source and have them run reliably..

Actually, as I understand it, Gentoo takes care of all the dependency and
configuration issues for you.  It's based on the *BSD ports system.  Yes,
everything gets compiled on your computer, but you can install, say, all of
KDE with a single command like "emerge kde."  Of course, it may take
several days to build! ;-)

Back on the subject of distro choice: I've been quite happy with Fedora on
the workstations I've installed it on so far (both at home and at work),
and we're planning on rolling out a new server in the next few
weeks.  We've settled on Fedora Core as the OS.

Kelson Vibber