chroot ??? what is it ?

Ryan Daly daly at ctcnet.net
Wed Nov 19 05:45:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 00:31, Genti A. Hila wrote:

> I've heard about chroot but i do not now very well what exactly is it.
> I do not pretend that anybody is going to teach me that, but i was
> wondering if someone knows any website that talks about chroot and
> probably how to configure it in Fedora (since Fedora has not yet any
> documentation).

You can do a 'man chroot' to find out a bit more about it.  It's a
system call that changes the root directory of a process or shell,
depending on how it's used.  Only the SuperUser can invoke it.  It's a
way of putting a process into a "jail" of sorts so that it can't access
the rest of the system easily.