Fedora, Debian or Gentoo

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Nov 19 19:15:06 UTC 2003

"Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin at weiss.name> wrote:
>So, if you're planning on implementing a server on FC1, are you planning on
>upgrading the server in the March/April timeframe, or just watching the bug
>lists carefully and downloading new packages manually?

We have several options, based on how Fedora Core and Fedora Legacy shake
out over the next few months.
    * Apply updates from Fedora Legacy, which plans to support Fedora Core
releases as well as Red Hat 7.3 and 9.
    * Once FC2 appears stable (in the non-crashing sense), upgrade "live"
using apt-rpm or yum, followed by a single reboot (if testing shows it's
possible, anyway).  If this works, downtime won't be any longer than
installing an errata kernel.  (On the other hand, the move to 2.6 may
complicate this.)
    * Point services to a backup server, upgrade, and switch back.  (Not
something we want to do several times a year, though.)
    * Switch to another, more stable (in the reliable support sense)
distribution after we've had time to experiment with and evaluate other
options
At this point RH9 and FC1 look roughly equivalent as far as support
lifetime is concerned.  Red Hat updates are coming out earlier, but an
upgrade from FC1 to FC2 seems likely to be less painful than an upgrade
from RH9 to FC2.

Kelson Vibber