How can I keep ARTS from starting?

Steven P. Ulrick spu at faith4miracle.org
Wed Nov 19 20:50:03 UTC 2003

Hello, Everyone :)
   I am running a fresh install of Fedora Core 1, during which I chose
to install every package.  I am also running KDE 3.1.93, installed from
the Fedora RPMS I got from ftp.kde.org.
   The problem is, I have an application I really want to keep using,
JUK, which requires that ARTS be installed even to run.  So I have to
have arts and arts-devel installed.  Unfortunately, I can't play mp3's
with XMMS when ARTS is running :(  If I uninstall ARTS, I'm good to go
(I use the OSS driver with XMMS)
   Anothe scenario: I chose to not start ARTS up when I log into KDE.
And I also chose to not have any system sounds.  Yet, when I reboot or
log-in, the sounds are back.  If I kill ARTS, it starts right back up,
and I'm back to square one :(
   Any ideas about how to have the ARTS rpm's installed, but guarantee
that it will never actually start up?
   Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Steven P. Ulrick