Speedstep Support via boot parameter doesn't work ?

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Thu Nov 20 02:22:50 UTC 2003

If you look at the cpufreqd module... it's supposed to work in conjunction
with the centrino module. Actually, the centrino module is just a frequency
governor compiled into the kernel. That's why you get /proc/cpufreq in 2.4
series kernel and /sys/cpu????something in 2.6 series. (the /proc/cpufreq
module is depreciate in 2.6 kernels) However, AFAIK there is no automatic
scaling.. I'm talking in terms of RH9/centrino/2.4.22-rc2-ac3 custom kernel
experience. FC1's kernel has some items which seems interesting to me in
terms of laptop support(based on their release notes) but I've not installed
it to determine if it would help me gain battery life. (I'm talking about
bdflush, kjournal commit intervals, disk spinup/down etc..)

Also since you mentioned the release notes also states :

 > It is also possible to set minimum, maximum, and policy using the
 > following boot-time parameter:

That's exactly what cpufreqd does. you can also just do an echo
0:60000:140000:powersave (mine's a 1.4GHz Centrino) and cpu will drop to
600Mhz.

Currently running on a Dell D600 with miserable batt life of 2:30 hours.