KDE 3.1.93 for Fedora spotted

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 20 12:40:30 UTC 2003

Mike wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Mike Chambers wrote:

>>> Someone that d/l'd and installed it said there were menu
>>> changes/problems and a few programs crashing.
>>>
>>> Is there something that stops the menu deal or is consistant with the
>>> menu in FC 1?
>>

>> I downloaded the rpms to a local directory. When I tried to update the
>> packages, I got these errors from up2date.
>>
>> Are these the programs that crash?
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>> Test install failed because of package conflicts:
>>

>openoffice.org related
>

> Yup, got those errors too.  The only workaround I found was to remove
> openoffice, install the new KDE packages, then reinstall.  As long as
> you keep your ~/.openoffice directory, the uninstall/reinstall process
> *shouldn't* affect any of your settings,templates,etc.  But don't quote
> me on that :)

I figured I'd uninstall openoffice, then try out KDE. I really like the
new look for this version.
  Previously, I thought that KDE looked too XP'ish and before the XP
style copying, it looked too cartoonish.
The new look seems easier to navigate and has a lot more clarity.

I've been a GNOME user for the most part. This new version of KDE might
be worth switchig from the dwindling Gnome powers. (metacity, instead of
something better. Menu editing problems, etc)

I like the new KDE so far.

Jim

> I posted a couple of days ago referring to programs crashing after
> installing the update to KDE.  The problem seemingly has corrected
> itself (with sporadic random exceptions), but I've still been unable to
> run any GL-enabled programs since.
>
> Also as I said, it looks like the menu structure has changed slightly
> from 3.x -> 3.2, it appears Fedora gets confused as to where some
> programs should go.  Consequently, I've got an 'Unknown' menu entry
> which holds a bunch of random apps that it didn't know what to do with.
>
> Mike
>

> --

A visit to a strange place will bring fresh work.