Grub + WinXP

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Nov 20 21:31:49 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 20.11.2003 schrieb David Limon Romero um 21:22:
> Yesterday I installed fedora, it's running fine, but I can't boot winxp on the
> 2nd HD with grub.
>
> when I was using lilo, I used:
> other=/dev/hdb1
> 	label=Winxp
> 	map-drive=0x80
> 	to=0x81
>
> but grub sintax is different, someone can tell me how to enable booting to
> winxp with grub? (I've never used it before)

You should add the following lines at the end of the file
/etc7grub/grub.conf:

title Windows XP
     map (hd0) (hd1)
     map (hd1) (hd0)
     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
     chainloader +1

The map mechanismsometimes does not work. You may try to delete the map
lines and use hd(1,0) for rootnoverify. Maybe better to use the first hd
for windows and the second for linux. Linux is much more capable and
configurable.

Peter