kickstart problems

Andy Elmer Andy.Elmer at udlp.com
Fri Nov 21 03:08:50 UTC 2003

>>> bhughes at elevating.com 11/20/03 19:23 PM >>>
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:18, David S. Johnson wrote:
> Andy Elmer wrote:
>
> >Has anyone else had success using kickstart via NFS with Fedora?  I
am
> >doing everything the same way I always have with RH 7.3, 8, and 9.
Has
> >the ks.cfg format changed?
> ><snip>
> >
> Yes, I have installed Fedora via NFS, both kickstart and interactive.
>  The procedure is no different, but due to a number of things which
were
> different in the Fedora kickstart files, I found I had to go through
an
> interactive install first, to get a base kickstart file to work from.
>  Subsequent minor modifications (adding/omitting packages) caused no
> problems, and I was able to do kickstart-driven installs via NFS.

Just curious.  What do you have to add to the kernel command line to
tell the installer to look to dhcp for the ks.cfg?  I have always let
the nfs server serve the ks.cfg with an
append="ks=nfs:serverip:/path/to/ks.cfg" line

Bret

Bret,
Here is an entry from my dhcpd.conf (my kickstart NFS server is also the
dhcp server):

host myhostname { hardware ethernet 00:0b:db:ca:45:2e; fixed-address
10.23.1.32; filename "/kickstart/tmp/ks.cfg"; }

I've changed the values above due to company policy, but basically I
wrote a script which adds/removes entries from the dhcpd.conf file and
restarts the dhcp server.  The "ks.cfg" file listed above is actually
named the same as the host I'm kickstarting (in the example above,
myhostname. I changed it to ks.cfg in this email to avoid confusion).
So, every host in our environment has its own ks.cfg file which is named
after it (ex.  /kickstart/tmp/myhostname ).

Andy