Graphics Problem (: more info this time :)

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Nov 21 05:46:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 22:36, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
--SNIP--
> For the moment, while you try to find a solution, turn off graphical
> booting and login, like this:
>
> 1) ... Stick yarrow disc1 in the drive and reboot.
> 2) ... Type "linux rescue" without the quotes at the boot prompt.
> 3) ... Follow the prompts, don't activate networking, but allow it to
> mount your linux partition.
> 4) ... type "chroot /mnt/sysimage" (I'm working from memory here ...
> someone correct me if I'm wrong), then type "vi /etc/grub.conf". To edit
> in vi you start by hitting the "insert" key, stop editing by hitting the
> "ESC" key, save the file by typing ":w<enter>" and quit by typing
> ":q<enter>"

So far, so good.

> 5) ... Remove "rhgb" from the line that starts "kernel /boot...."

Ah, well...the line will read something like:
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb

...remove "rhgb" from the line (whether or not it is at the end of that
line).

> 6) ... Use vi again, to edit /etc/inittab and look for the line which
> reads "id:5:initdefault:". Change the "5" to a "3".
> 7) ... Reboot. You should now be able to boot (albeit without X).
>
> If you need a browser to research your problem (whilst not running in X)
> just type "lynx www.google.com" and you'll get the lynx client.
>
> Now it's time to start playing with maybe recompiling the kernel, playing
> with modprobe or downloading drivers off the Net. At the very least, I
> would think you'd manage to get X up with a generic VGA driver.

You might even try running these commands on that command line (as root)
after rebooting from the previous steps:

1.  mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.original
2.  redhat-config-xfree86

You may be able to get an X configuration that will work this way.

Good luck.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Instructor