Docs for Fedora ? and a question about using OpenAFS

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Fri Nov 21 15:20:19 UTC 2003

On Friday November 21, 2003 Robert Meyer  (meyer at clarkson.edu) wrote:
> Considering using Fedora for an undergrad software engineering lab.
> First question -- since there appears
> to be no documentation (other than Release Notes) for Fedora, are the
> Redhat 9 docs reasonably applicable?

Yes. For the time being, the RH9 Docs CD is the best (if not only) game in
town. There may be a Docs CD by the time FC2 is released.

> Second question -- we want to use OpenAFS, but I only see versions for
> Redhat 9.  Will they work with Fedora?

Probably. While there must be a bazillion smaller differences "under the
hood" between RH9 and FC1, both are based on NPTL kernels. That's often
the most significant compatibility factor for a lot of 3rd party software.
Chances will be even better if you get the .src.rpm and rebuild it on an
FC1 box:

http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.2.10/redhat-9.0/openafs-1.2.10-rh9.0.1.src.rpm

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL