How about slowing down the Fedora release cycle to allow for more QA???

Doug Brott brott at redh.com
Fri Nov 21 16:27:50 UTC 2003

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>All,
>
>Okay, this is probably going to immerse me in a flame war, but, to put it
>bluntly, I'm scared spitless.

[parts deleted]

>Would it hurt that much to slow down the release cycle of fedora to match
>what RHL used to enjoy?  To help ensure that a *WORKING* distro is released?

[parts deleted]

>Don't get me wrong.  I loved RHL with an evangelical zeal.  I desperately
>want to do the same with fedora.  But I just don't have the confidence in it
>that I did with RHL...not after having subscribed to this list.
>
>Ben

Ben,

   Fedora is new.  Not only is it RH10, but it is also a split from the
"old" way of distribution.  What we have is two big things happening at
one time.  Redhat is in essence handing the core off to the open-source
community.  You are seeing lots of messages here because there is no
other support model now.  Many of these folks were probably
calling/writing RedHat and you just didn't see them.  I believe that is
the whole point of doing this sort of distribution anyway.

   I have every expectation that the core will stabilize, but it will
probably be with Fedora-core 2 or possibly Fedora-core 3.  If you are
worried, stick with RH9.  It's a very solid OS and will handle most, if
not all, of your computing needs.  I consider myself and enthusiest and
made the leap to see what all of the fuss was about.  After smoothing
out a few bumps, I've been happy with the results.  I believe that RH9
is more stable than FC1, but not by a whole lot.

I find the update mechanism is actually easier in FC1, but only after
you go through the stumbling block of learning a new way to do it.   I
maintain a localized repository for udpates and it is much easier to
setup/maintain in FC1 than it was in RH9.  And from the client side, it
becomes a simple one-liner in a config file.  The problem is that parts
of it are broken, but there are fixes available.  You won't see this in
FC2 because it will definitely be fixed by then.

If you continue with FC1, please don't worry too much.  Even though you
may feel you are in a buggy environment, most things run very well.  If
you are only using client tools (browsing, e-mail, etc.), then you
probably won't see any problems.

--
Doug Brott
brott at redh.com