Linux Cad Packages

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Nov 21 16:33:49 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 11:09 pm, Doug Lane wrote:
> Does anyone know of a Linux based CAD package, preferably open source,
> good for architectural drawings and that can open .dwg Autocad native
> drawings?  Maybe something operable with Wine?

I am running two programs to get DWG functionality under Linux.  First,
LXViewer is used to convert between formats.  LXViewer itself is open source,
but it depends upon the OpenDWG libraries, which are not open source.  Then,
I have AutoCAD LT for Windows 95 running under CrossOver Office.  The
combination works pretty good, although there are display quirks with AutoCAD
LT.

QCAD's DXF files are not compatible with AutoCAD, nor LXViewer.  QCAD is
currently the most capable Linux CAD that is fully open source.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology