have anybody tried upgrading from RedHat 9 to Fedora ?

Michael Clewley miketclew at nepotia.org
Fri Nov 21 16:42:40 UTC 2003

On 21, George Kodinov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking on how exactly to upgrade my Redhat 9 box - try inplace
> upgrade or do a backup of my data and install Fedora afresh. I have a
> good amount of RawHide RPMs installed.
>
> Has anybody had any experience upgrading RedHat 9 boxes w/ Fedora and

Yes, multiple times.

> how seamless the process is ?

How good are you with rpm ;). Are you using apt for pkg management? Or
yum?

> What would you recommend ?

Apt or Yum:

- Do a full redhat9/rawhide dist-upgrade first.

I'm not sure if Yum resolved this one, or not.. but apt didn't so if
you use apt:

- Remove perl-CPAN, ntp, sendmail (If installed) (I had to --nodeps em')
- Do your dist-upgrade to fc1.
- And then reinstall ntp/sendmail via apt-get -f install.

Good luck.

-mike

--
Michael Clewley