Mail server problems

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Mon Nov 24 00:41:18 UTC 2003

Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I'm having a problem accessing the pop3 port on my server.  The server
> on a computer named bullet at 192.168.1.4 .  The computer I am trying
> to  access bullet from is named baby and my user account is michael.
> I've tried telnetting from baby to bullet on port 110 from baby, but it
> says Connection refused.  Yet if I ssh over to bullet and telnet from
> there, I can get port 110 no problem.  I used
> redhat-config-securitylevel to make sure that bullet accepted telnet
> requests, and it does.

Accepting telnet is not the same as accepting telnet to port 110.  This
is accepting pop3 (not telnet).  The fact that you used telnet to get
there is irrelevant.  You need to add port 110 to the list of 'trusted
services'.

And you should definitely turn telnet back off.

It works when you ssh, because from then on, you're locally on the
machine, and all local connections are allowed.

I don't use the security level tool, so I don't know how to do it with
that.  If you know how to edit your iptables file
(/etc/sysconfig/iptables) you probably need something like

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 110 -j ACCEPT

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

The two most common things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
		-- Harlan Ellison