Questions about Fedora

sreis at pobox.com sreis at pobox.com
Mon Nov 24 01:17:03 UTC 2003

Torsten,

>> 1. Fedora is completely OSS, so i don´t have to pay
>> for updates like it was with RHN ? So i will not only
>> get security patched Packages but also new KDE packages aso. ?

You don’t/didn't have to pay for updates to Redhat or Fedora.

RHN is a service for people/company/organizations that requires a more
restrict SLA. If you need a SLA check Redhat Enterprise Linux (the
licence fee includes RHN), another comercial distro like Conectiva,
Mandrake, Suse or the RedCarpet service by Ximian, that includes Fedora
and Debian, but not Slackware yet (maybe sometime in future, after a
mature package manager for Slackware becomes avaliable).

2. Is it possible to update my Fedora Installation like Debian does
without having to download new Release ISOs and use them ?

Yes! And you can upgrade from RH9 to Fedora too.

3. I read somewhere that is is possible to use APT with Fedora. Is this
true ?

You can use RHN (up2date) and yum, I'm not sure about apt.

Regards,

Silvio Reis
sreis at pobox.com
RJ, Brasil