Aureal Vortex 1 Sound Card Not Recognized

Tim Sheets tsheets at insightbb.com
Mon Nov 24 03:57:38 UTC 2003

Hello,

I am having a problem getting my sound card to be recognized in FC1.

The system is an older Asus PII board, and the soundcard is an Aureal
Vortex 1 as shown from 'lspci -v' below.

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 1 (rev 02)
         Memory at e2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
         I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
         I/O ports at b400 [size=8]
         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

If I look at the relevant messages from dmesg, it is basically telling
me that it can't config the card I think.

[root at chode etc]# modprobe cs4232
<misc unlreted items cut>
ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
ad1848: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
cs4232: set synthio and synthirq to use the wavefront facilities.
cs4232: Must set io, irq and dma.

So, I tried

'modprobe cs4232 irq=11 io=0xb400 dma=<0-7>' (I didn't know which DMA it
was or may be using, and I got the same error messages when I tried
without specifying dma).  The resulting messages from dmesg are below:

ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
ad1848: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
cs4232: set synthio and synthirq to use the wavefront facilities.

I don't even recall where I saw a reference to this particular module
for this card, but somewhere searching around today.  The other module I
saw referenced 8820 (or something to that effect) I don't have on my system.

Does anyone have any idea where to turn with this?

Thanks,

Tim