timidity locking athlon box on ctrl-C

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Mon Nov 24 06:22:19 UTC 2003

Hi,

Strange behavior on my Athlon box--when I open an xterm and play a midi
file with timidity it plays fine but if I try to ctrl-c out of it (or
ctrl-z and then bg/fg) it completely freezes the machine. No mouse, no
kbd, just the looping sound it was last playing and the display is
frozen. No ssh or ping after I do this, either.

My intel laptop doesn't have the problem--it ctrl-c's out just fine.

Seems to be platform or chipset dependent. Interesting test for other
people to try if they get a chance.

Both machines are fresh Fedora core 1 installs kept up2date as of this
writing.

---
John