NIS configuration

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Nov 24 12:46:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:29:36PM +0530, Arvind Narayanan wrote:
> While installing Redhat9, there was a screen for NIS (client)
> configuration which set up everything perfectly. But in FC1 I
> had to do it after installation, and it took me some googling
> to find which are the config files to make changes to. Is there
> some druid that automates this, similar to what happens in RH9
> installation? Are there plans for putting back NIS configuration
> in a future release of Fedora, perhaps in an "Advanced" tab or
> something? Thanks.

Yes, it's there, in the "firstboot" screen, below the fields where you
can add a user account there is a button for network authentication
setup which includes NIS (ok, I admit, I have overlooked this at first
too :) )
Also, it is available as redhat-config-authentication (from the menu:
System Settings - Authentication)

Note: in both tools, there is no button for NIS broadcast, but leaving
the NIS Server field empty makes that the client will do broadcasting to
find a server.

David Jansen