Whom should I put my trust?

Merc zenmerc at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 22:52:42 UTC 2003

Hello,

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 10:51, Timothy Ha wrote:
> Now that several places are offering rpms for Fedora, a question arises:
>
> Whom should I trust to point my apt-get to?
>
> Timothy.

I use the official update repo, the fedora.us repo, and freshrpms.  My
yum.conf repos look like this:

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

[fedora-stable]
name=Fedora Supplemental Packages (Stable)
baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable/

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

I have spoken to several people I respect on this issue, and they seem
to agree that the above combination is "sane", in that not too many
overlapping packages will appear and the RPMs are usually of decent
quality.  Of course, this doesn't give you the coverage that some other
configurations will (livna, whatever other repos are popular, etc.) but
I see a lot of merit in keeping your repo list minmal.

IWFM.
--
Merc
zenmerc at comcast.net