Weird Audio Problem With 2.6.0-test9 RPM

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 25 01:04:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:57:09PM +0000, Holden McGroin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just installed the Kernel 2.6.0-test9 RPM over my new Fedora Core 1
> installation and I have the weirdest Audio problem:
>
> When I first boot my machine, I have no audio - in Mplayer, GXine, XMMS,
> etc. If I run the "Soundcard Detection" programme, my audio starts
> working in all the applications.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get audio to work automatically?

ALSA, the default sound subsystem of kernel 2.6+, has *always* muted
sound after installation. You must fire up a mixer and adjust the
volume levels to your liking. I guess FC has some hooks into the mixer
or adjusts the registers directly when you run Soundcard Detection.

I suppose that the original ALSA developer(s) lived in an apartment
with thin walls and wanted to ensure the landlord would remain calm
:-)

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca