Weird Audio Problem With 2.6.0-test9 RPM

Dan Goodes fedora-list at planetmirror.com
Tue Nov 25 02:29:00 UTC 2003

Jack,

The problem, as myself and a number of others have noted here, is that
2.6.0-test kernels don't load the sound drivers automatically. There's
been many many questions floating around, but no real answers (believe me
I've tried every suggestion so far)...

A work around is obviously to put something in /etc/rc.local to modprobe
the module/s, but this doesn't explain why the modules don't auto-load on
boot.

Currently, I switch to virtual console 1 when the GDM login screen shows
up, login, load up snd-ali5451 (for my sound card), then go back to the
GDM login screen and start KDE. If i don't do that, KDE comes up with
"Select Mixer" where the mixer should be.

Now here is where it gets tricky: every time I log in, the mixer goes back
to zero'd volumes for all mixer devices. The old "post-install" and
"pre-remove" lines to use aumix to restore and save the mixer settings
don't have any effect (even after I translate them for the new
modprobe.conf format).

So yeah - someone somewhere will no doubt have some answers for us soon.

-Dan

--
Regards,

Dan Goodes  :  Systems Programmer  :  dang at planetmirror.com

Help support PlanetMirror - Australia's largest Internet archive
by signing up for PlanetMirror Premium : http://planetmirror.com