Transparent Terminals

Sy Beamont sbeam at attbi.com
Tue Nov 25 17:23:11 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 10:58, Mike wrote:
> Tim Becker wrote:
> > I set up what I call a background shell.  It's just a transparent
> > borderless terminal that covers most of my desktop background.  I've
> > done this with both Eterm and gnome-terminal and I think any term
> > program that supports transparent backgrounds will work.
>
> Excellent tip!  Anyone care to run through the procedure for KDE?

You can easily most of that with Konsole as well. right click on the window,
Configure Konsole, use the Schema tab. Start out with "Transparent, Dark
Background" and change the % shading and text color to taste.

But you can't customize window borders and friends based on the window
properties like you can in Sawfish ("Matched Windows"). So all your windows
always have the same titlebar and border. This is the only thing I miss from
Gnome. semi-transparent, borderless terminals make your desktop so sci-fi its
not even funny. Chicks dig it. really.