Samba and Fedora Core 1

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 22:55:10 UTC 2003

Henrik Magnusson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just upgraded from RH 9 to FC1, and I've had a lot of problems. First om all the removal of pine, second the network interface (3c905 didn't work with kudzu running anymore), third samba won't display swedish characters, so if I have a file name with a swedish character, then samba will display boxes instead, and the file won't be possible to open from the windows explorer. It will still be possible to rename and in Linux, so there's not the problem.
>
> Do someone know what changed from Samba 2.x (RH9-version) to Samba 3. And I don't want to know all the difference, just whats changed in setup in FC1 setting for Samba.
>
> /Nenne

I have had the same problem with the NIC as many others have had. I
regard the elimination of this error to be pretty critical to solve this
  boggling problem with the NIC.

NICs are a bit cheaper than CD burners, but are very much needed in
todays computing environment.

I took my NIC out to await a solution to this problem. I can spare this
NIC to anyone who thinks that they can come up with a fix for this
problem with these 3com cards.

Digging through code is challenging, but was not my choice to pursue. I
know very little about programming, but would attempt to help narrow
down this detour from a working card in previous versions of Linux.

What major breakthroughs were introduced between RHL9 and the first Beta
for Fedora that deal with connectivity through the ethernet port?

--
You seek to shield those you love and you like the role of the provider.