RSYNC Fedora (Moving onto RAID...)

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Wed Nov 26 02:09:05 UTC 2003

William Hooper wrote:

>Of course if both disks of a mirror set die you lose everything, too.

Yes.

The guy was recommending RAID10 ( a bunch of RAID1 pairs then add them
all together as RAID0 ).

After reading it I worked out a number comparing a RAID5 with 5 disks
against RAID10 with 4 stripped sets of 3 disks (12 in total ).  If you
lose 2/5 RAID5 disks you are all lost.  If you lose 5/12 RAID10s you
still have over a 95% chance of no data lost.  I believe recovery time
on RAID10 puts RAID5 to shame too.  His entire rant can be found at
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=quarterly+raid+5+rant+group:comp.databases.informix&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.informix&selm=pan.2003.07.31.16.49.22.318281.15473%40bloomberg.net&rnum=5

( search comp.databases.informix for quarterly raid 5 rant)

I've only experimented with RAID myself so most of my curiosity is about
what people who have suffered a catastrophic data loss chose, and if
they intend to do anything different in future...

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899