raise window on-click

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Nov 26 02:40:49 UTC 2003

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:07, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>>Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
>>>What do you think of the strict focus idea?
>>
>>As a solution, it ignores the entire issue that under a default
>>configuration, users *are* going to miss alert-style dialogs if they're
>>typing when the dialog pops up.
>
> not really, the idea being the alert dialog still appears on top, but
> the focus remains where the mouse is pointing: the window you're typing
> in.  Then its seen as soon as you look up (which is all the time if
> you're me).  The only problem is to make sure the dialog doesn't pop up
> under the mouse.

That "solution" to the problem ignores the fact that most people won't
be using focus-strictly-under-mouse.  The problem needs to be solved so
that it's no longer a problem regardless of how your focus is set up.

That's why I think it's a bad solution to a bigger problem.  It's a
hack.  It works fine for anyone using focus-strictly-under-mouse, but
fails to correct the problem for the majority of users.