RSYNC Fedora

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Wed Nov 26 06:11:36 UTC 2003

Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2003, at 9:40 PM, Scott Burns wrote:
>
>> Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
>

>>> A computer with 4 - 100GB hard drives in a RAID 5 (parity) set up, 3
>>> drives are active in the RAID 5, 1 hot spare drive, Total storage
>>> 200GB, actually a little less due to overhead. In this
>>> configuration, one of the drives in the raid fails, the hot spare
>>> becomes active, the raid rebuilds, and you replace the dead drive
>>> with a fresh drive and this drive becomes the hot spare.  In this
>>> case, you can have 2 drives fail and the system can keep going.
>>>
>> Same deal as above, what happens if a second drive fails during rebuild?
>

> I haven't had it happen yet, but "in theory", with the setup above, it
> "should" continue to work, but you're really want to get another
> couple drives in that machine fast.

You might want to give this a try if you have a spare machine available.
 Fedora + software raid to make a 5 odd partition RAID5 set and then
kill one partition.  Midway through the rebuild with a hot spare, kill
another partition.  I'm certain that if RAID5 loses two of it's disks at
the same time, it's gone.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems