Local cache for RPM repositories

Dirk Engel engel at theo1.physik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 26 08:47:19 UTC 2003

Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have three machines at home (ADSL 512k) and I also maintain my mother
> machine (far away, on 56k modem). I'd like to download packages
> only once from my three home machines, and to be able to burn
> a few CDs (or fill an external USB2 drive) with the updates when I visit
> my mother. I'm using up2date and yum for now on fedora.redhat.com and
> freshrpms.net.
>
> Is there a documented way to do what I want? May be mirror using wget,
> tweaking /etc/yum.conf and /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources?
>
> I've tried to copy /var/cache/yum from one machine to another
> but on the new machine yum dies. Copying /var/spool/up2date
> does seem to keep up2date happy though.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Laurent

I recommend lftp for mirroring http repos. You may put lftp's mirror
command into a small lftp script, which is run by cron or by hand:

# [core]
open http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub
mirror -v fedora/linux/core/1 core/1 &

Regards
Dirk

--
Dirk Engel             Institut für Theoretische Physik 1
Tel (0711) 685-4986    Universität Stuttgart