2.6-test10 and ECN

Nathan G. Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Wed Nov 26 15:57:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 01:29, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> the sysadmins of those sites need to upgrade their firmware to be compliant
> with internet standards (and iirc the broken firmware is also superceded by
> a series of security upgrades which all have this bug fixed as well)

   I understand it is a standard, but in this case I take a pragmatist
approach instead of a idealist. Past kernels don't have this on by
default, and mysteriously breaking many sites is very bad whatever the
reason. Another example is that you can set your smtp server to be very
strict to RFC, but do most people want to ignore legitimate mail, no.

   At the very least put a warning in your readme.txt. I and I am sure
many others would prefer it set back to disabled by default. If you plan
to leave it this way in future official releases, at the bare minimum it
should be in the release notes, if not option in the installer/firstboot
with a warning.

   Three sites in two days is bad, and I am sure the list would grow. I
know in the past when I had tried ECN I was cut off from a site I do
business with, but now that site works just fine with it.

   I will try e-mailing the webmasters of these sites to get them to
talk to their network or security administrators about the issue.