RAID options under Fedora

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Wed Nov 26 15:59:06 UTC 2003

Personal Choice:  I would take hardware RAID over
software RAID any three days of the week.

Reasoning:  Hardware RAID, for the most part, is OS
Independant and OS Nonspecific.  You set up a RAID 5
array in hardware, the OS doesn't know, or care, that
it's not one big disk.  Another is that USUALLY a
driver upgrade in an OS is alot safer for the data
than an over-all update of a RAID system.  Meaning
it's safer to take the driver from version 1 to
version 2 than it is an entire storage schema.

I remember the DriveSpace/Stacker/SuperStor days as
well.....<shudder>  Nothing like taking an entire hard
drive's worth of data and making it one big assed
compressed file.

name=signature.asc

=====