RAID options under Fedora

Seth Bardash seth at integratedsolutions.org
Wed Nov 26 23:10:02 UTC 2003

Lets look at the numbers:

IDE Disks: 800,000 hours MTBF

SCSI Disks: 1,000,000 hours MTBF

IDE Disks: 91.57 Years

SCSI Disk: 114.46 Years

Humm.... I don't think the machines will be usable that long in
either case.

For 6 disks the MTBF numbers are:

6 x IDE Disks: 15.26 Years

6 x SCSI Disk: 19.07 Years

Still longer than any machines (worth using) still in use.

The difference in cost will be about 2.5 (for SCSI) to 1 (for
IDE). Its your money.

The disk manufacturing techniques used today have come a long way
and are being made about as reliable as they can get.

The type of disk is no longer a factor. 3 to 5 years ago your
comment had merit.

Also take into account the SCSI disks use more power and run
hotter than IDE disks. In the same chassis with equal cooling the
MTBF will be almost identical.

The difference in cost for the same amount of storage can no
longer be justified.

Seth