Tuxracer on Fedora - SLOW!

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Thu Nov 27 12:16:03 UTC 2003

> OKay, So I installed the glx and kernel rpms as per the readme and now I
> get this when trying to run tuxracer:
>
> NV: could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied)
> Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
> are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
> section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
> to correct.

Ownership of those devices are set up automatically when you log in to X
(assuming you're using graphical login). Try loggin out and in again,
hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace once at the login prompt to restart the X
server. Make sure you're not logged in at any console as well. If that
doesn't fix it, try a reboot (I know, but it's easier than hunting down
and killing stray processes of other users etc etc).

If you're using text login - booting to init 3 - you'll need to chmod
/dev/nvidia* 666.

/Peter