Compile perl script on Fedora (perlcc)

didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Fri Nov 28 10:52:10 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:12:54AM -0500, Yanick Quirion wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a new system running Fedora. I want to compile simple perl script
> using perlcc. The compile process complete successfully with couple of
> warning, but when I ran the compiled program, it give me a core file.
> Look:
> And now the execution:
>
> [fedora-l]:/u/sinfsyst/yanqui/prog/Perl> ./tutu
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> If I do exactly same thing on Redhat 9, it works without any
> error/problem. There is no "warning" on the compile process.
>
> The difference is RH 9 uses Perl 5.8.0 and Fedora 5.8.1. Is it possible
> to "downgrade" fedora perl to 5.8.0?
> If you have any other suggestion that will solve that problem it will be
> appreciated.

I noticed that also. perlcc which comes from Perl 5.8.0 is much better
than perlcc 5.8.1

the new perlcc is very buggy!!!

Likewise I compiled my pdfmerge program with perlcc 5.8.0 and it was
flawless, now the compilation with 5.8.1 sucks terribly.

It's possible to downgrade... remove all Perl on your system.

do an

rpm -qa | grep Perl

and rpm -e --nodeps whatever_perl_you_find

and point your apt sources.list to a RH9 repository and perform and
apt-get install Perl.

and you'll get the old Perl back. I do not have the time to explain in
details. If you require further instructions, post to the mailing list.

--
With kind regards,

Didier.

---
PhD student

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg \or\
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg
Website: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg