Chinese support

gh gh2000 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 28 16:16:38 UTC 2003

<snip>
> >I am trying to install Chinese simplified support for a colleague in FC 1
> > but I have some issues.
> >
> >I need an English desktop with occasional Chinese text input for kmail, OO
> >etc.. Now my colleague has to change the "language" (system
> >setttings-->language, with root password!!), logout and log back in.
> >- How can I avoid the language/user change?
> >
> >I believe that the Chinese input program installed is XCin. The feedback
> > that I get is that it is very slow and inefficient compared to the
> > Windoze version.
> >- Has anybody seen/installed something better?

For anyone following this thread:

A "partial" fix to the first issue above:

create a .i18n file in your home directory:

LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.GB18030"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"

log in with the language set in Chinese and your should have an English
desktop with Chinese support.
It is not perfect (fonts are horrible and chinput (CTRL+Space) has to be
started and stopped before you open each app.) but it works.

For the sencond issue I have not tried the other input methods yet (SCIM or
fcitx).

gh